It’s Never Too Late to Have a Happy Childhood*

 Many of us didn’t grow up in safety with love, in fact we grew up with trauma, but it really is possible to feel the joy and safety of a happy childhood: Right here, right now. It doesn’t just happen, we need to build it up by listening to the Inner Child and her/his fears and grief. As I wrote in my memoir, The River of Forgetting, I learned from my therapist how to be present consistently for my Child Within just as a good parent would for a real child.

This morning I felt overcome by responsibility and things I need to do, but I sat and asked the Little Girls in me what they needed. They told me quite plainly they need to be little and loved, so I simply sat there and held them and felt the love. My Inner Adult held them tenderly as they surrendered and let go of the need to be grown-up.

Our new happy Inner Children are
  • safe, with an inner safety that is solid and dependable
  • loved by our Inner Adults
  • accepted just the way we are, with fears and quirks and all our feelings
  • able to feel connection with other people
  • open and spontaneous, able to move freely because of the safety
  • playful and creative.
It’s been a tough few weeks for me with huge adult responsibilities. I promise my Inner Children to take time today to mess with paints and take a walk.

How do you reassure your Inner Child and keep her/him safe?

* Quote is attributed to Tom Robbins, Berke Breathed, Wayne Dyer, and many others!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How very brave of you to share with your journey into horror that is child abuse. My heart goes out to you. Well done for surving and healing yourself. I am very proud of you.