Why Write? and Listening for Words


Today I am delighted to be interviewed by Hot Author, who asked these questions and more.

Q: What compelled you to write your first book?

A: Sheer gratitude for the way that my personal crisis opened up into opportunity. I was driving down the highway in Connecticut on the way to see my son in New York, feeling an upwelling of love and thankfulness, and it just came clear that I needed to write The River of Forgetting.

Q: How did you feel the day you held the copy of your first book in your hands?

A: Holding the book in my hands was nothing compared to the thrill of seeing it on Amazon! At that point I knew I had truly launched it into the world for everyone to see.

Q: What type of music, if any, do you listen to while you write? Do you need the noise or the silence?

A: Silence! I need to hear the music of the words (I’m a poet as well as prose writer), and I need to listen inside for the exact emotional resonances of the scenes and the words. Music has its own propulsive power, not what I need. ...Read the rest of the interview at Hot Author
 

No comments: