Which part of the book was the hardest to write?


This question is from the Pump Up Your Book author interview posted June 7, 2011

Q: Which part of the book was the hardest to write?

I came to a dead standstill about halfway through. I’d already spent about two years writing, finding a tone and form that worked to convey the story. One thing I did was to incorporate snippets of my journals in the story, so the narrative could keep flowing in one voice, and then the raw, uncensored voice of my journals could also enter when appropriate, but the reader would not have to be immersed in it all the time. I think it’s important to give the reader a break.

Anyway, I was trying to write about a year of my life that was just chaotic in the intensity of the flashbacks and emotions that swept through me, and I stalled. My therapist, the same one who had guided me through the years, said, “Just wait, it will come,” but this felt different from the other times I had stopped and started. Finally, I said to her, “I just don’t want to write this part. How many times do I have to go back there?” “Good question,” she said. I realized it was time to go on to the next part and write about finding the little girls inside of me, my inner children, and how I learned to be trustworthy for them and they learned to trust me.

“It’s a love story,” my therapist said, “a love story of you and the little girls inside.” And then I was able to write the rest of the book.

4 comments:

Pastor Sharon said...

What a lovely way to describe your story, as a love story to the little girl inside.

I can't wait to read this book!

Jane Rowan said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting, Pastor Sharon. I hope you enjoy the book!

sarah said...

I've discovered....allowing ourselves to have our voice frees us in ways nothing else can. I'm glad you wrote you story.

Jane Rowan said...

I totally agree, Sarah. And sometimes the hardest things to write are the most important.

The other really hard thing to write was, strangely, the really tender and healing parts. When I felt totally loved and loving, that was vulnerable, and when I wrote about it, I felt shy and exposed. But I wrote it anyway!