Social Media and the Inner Child

Social media have us hooked—no big news there. Facebook claims over 500 million users. Twitter has reached nearly 200 million users registered accounts who post 110 million tweets per day as of January 1, 2011. (Now I don’t necessarily think that the number of accounts is equal to the number of human users, but that’s a quibble for another day.)

Lately I’ve been noticing the ways social media hook my Inner Child.  I feel “You’ve got to keep going with the social media, you’re on a roll, have to get more followers on Twitter, get more friends on Facebook, got to keep in touch with Linked In-- hurry, hurry, reply.” Sometimes it’s my childish fears (You don’t have enough friends. You’re not doing enough. Look, Suzy Q has 3000 followers and you have only 200). Sometimes it’s positive reinforcements (Oh, two more followers, let me look for more, my score is rising. Keep going now, I’m on a roll).

The social media are useful, no doubt. But they are also addictive through their push-pull of enticement and fear. Just now I set the kitchen timer for 30 minutes to make sure I have to get up and breathe, look into my back yard, remember my body is here, rather than just keep plugging in electronically.

But anyway, we can play out in that great Web. See you in cyberspace!

Jane
Twitter
Facebook page
The River of Forgetting on FB
.

2 comments:

Patricia Singleton said...

Jane, About 3 or 4 years ago my son lived in Denver and used MySpace by wouldn't do emails. My daughter then discovered Facebook and liked it better than MySpace so then I used Facebook to stay in touch with her. Both of my accounts were private and used just to keep in touch with my children.

Then someone mentioned that I should use Facebook for posting my blog articles to attract more subscribers. She told me that I also needed to learn how to use Twitter and that she was already Tweeting my blog posts on there. About a year and a half ago, I started using both Facebook and Twitter to gain more traffic on my blog. It worked. My subscriber numbers have more than doubled and aren't slowing down. I adverage bet. 300-350 subscribers a day.

Thanks for your recent visit and comment on my blog. I appreciate the work that you do too.

Jane Rowan said...

Yes, I agree that social media are very effective in spreading the word--see my "follow" button above and facebook address.

It's also true that my Inner Child sometimes gets overwhelmed with the frantic pace that we're expected to keep up--Tweet, Tweet! Hurry, hurry!

I spent most of the day today out in the woods and at ponds, watching dragonflies--such a joy! Trying to keep it in balance...