"Incest Survivors will cheer," writes Bookish Dame!

Here's what Deborah, The Bookish Dame, wrote today. I am so moved by the ways she "got" the essence of The River of Forgetting.

This is a difficult review to write.  I want to tell you this book has touched my soul and psyche in ways that nothing else I've read on the subject has ever been able to.  That makes it difficult to summarize for me.

Over the years, as all of us probably have, I've read numerous books sharing survival stories of alcohol, drug use, dysfunctional families, incest, child abuse and the like.  Not until this book has any one of them had the same impact.  I attribute a lot of that to the fact that Jane Rowan is not whining and enlisting the sympathies of the reader...or even asking for the blame to be placed not only on the offending father or mother, but on the opposite parent or guardian.


Jane Rowan's book is not a matter-of-fact story, either, but a real and honest walk with her in discovery.  It's as  if we're on an excavation, an uncovering of an ancient ruin (an apt word) that has such power to harm that it's a cancer that's virtually inoperable unless it's painstakingly routed out.  What a new concept!  No crying and subconscious or conscious begging for "poor me" readers--just "here's what I uncovered, it was such a journey to get there!"


Ms Rowan writes her non-fiction book like a novel.  It's a book so easy to read that one has nearly finished before it's realized.  I had a hard time putting it down.  The hours rushed by as I was caught up in her powerful and easy prose. 


One of the most intriguing and significant books of its kind I've had the pleasure of reading and reviewing.

1 comment:

Deborah~TheBookishDame said...

Thank you so much, Jane, for this affirmation of my review. You are helping so many in your willingness to be open and vulnerable.
Hugs,
Deb