Paths to Healing from Childhood Sexual Abuse

  • Self-knowledge
  • Love
  • Creativity
--those were the paths I took after memories of sexual abuse came to me 13 years ago.

Self-knowledge means not only finding out "what happened." In fact I, like many others, only recovered fragments of memory. I don't need all the memories to come back. More important, I see how the oppression of the abuse reverberated through my life and relationships. With love and creativity, I see how to change those patterns.

Love is central to healing. My therapist showed me unconditional love and regard. She taught me how to love my wounded inner child and all aspects of myself. Every day I learn more about how to be loving to myself and thus to the world.

Creative expression through writing, art, and dance has been vital for me to get the feelings "out there" in ways that I could observe and integrate. Sometimes it's wild and jagged, sometimes calm and integrative. Creativity is a flowing river of soul.

My memoir Beyond Memory details the process of using these three paths to come to a profound healing. It is my hope to add this to the bookshelf of memoirs. Most of them detail the abuse itself, while mine shows the life beyond.

No comments: