Inner Safety after Childhood Abuse

When we’re abused as children, we learn to feel that the world is not safe. Often it doesn’t take much for our fears to be triggered. As I begin to shop my memoir to agents, making my story known in the wider world, I meet rejection and dismissal. Sometimes my Inner Child gets scared.

Through years of intensive work in therapy and on my own, I’ve learned to find a safe place inside myself. Yesterday I sent out another round of query letters to agents. This morning I sat in my rocking chair, listening to the little girl inside me. She wanted to be held and safe, so I rocked her. I told her how brave she is and how loving. I told her that we’re writing this memoir for other scared little kids living inside brave grownups.

I’m so glad that I had the help I needed to find this inner safety. It makes all the difference.

2 comments:

Tissuebox said...

Hi.
I just happened to come across your blog when I was searching fo resources. Recently, I have been feeling down because of my memories of being betrayed. Didn't know who i can share it with, so i just put it here...

Jane Rowan said...

Thanks, tissuebox. There are more resources at my website www.janerowan.com.

I wish you all the best in your journey of healing. It is truly worth the effort.

J